Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Read Throughs


Starting a blog that you've been meaning to commence for months whilst debilitated with the flu is not the brightest of ideas. Particularly when you've set yourself an update schedule.

This week has been close to a write off. Today was supposed to be a breakdown of translating a script into a storyboard but that has not happened. That's not to say I haven't been working on it. I just haven't got anything visual to show and I'd rather save that for next week.

However, I did make a little bit of progress and that started with my read through. Luckily no one was around when I got to read said script out loud and with all the voices. I enjoy building a character from the ground up. Once they are firmly there in my mind, drawing or writing for them is much simpler. Their expressions, the manner in which they converse with others, it's all there. A character has to be real to me before I can begin to do anything constructive with them.

I really like the story I am working on and can't wait to start putting it together. I will have to get the blog domain from my collaborator so you guys can check him out. It's a detective-noir story. I've been gathering ideas in regards to the look for it (thank you Pinterest). It'll be grungy, black, and dripping with a heady aesthetic.

Last week, I sat there during a massive, freezing storm, reading the script that was sent to me. It too began on a cold night. Stark scenes sprang to my mind as I began to hear the sultry tones of our protagonist. She talks of a case. A missing person.

This is a great technique. When you read dialogue aloud you get a sense of not only your pacing, but how your character is reacting to things. Are they flighty in their speech, or are they gruff and sharp? This is where you begin to really put the pieces together. And props to the writer in this case.

The scene I do want to highlight is one that takes place between the protagonist, Marla and her sister. As I read through it, I began to hear a slightly Marilyn Monroe-esque lilt to her sister's voice. The scene descended. Two women sitting about a bright 1950's kitchen. Painfully clean, yet there are signs of wear and tear. A small, torn corner of the wall paper. Stains on the floor from where the children have been playing. A sad collection of bottles by the bin. She's in a respectable wiggle dress with a flowery pattern, her hair slightly mussed from a day of chasing toddlers, a stark contrast to her dark, neat, angled sister Marla.

By reading this conversation aloud I now have them firmly in my head. From here I can begin to break down the script into what content will go on each page before I place it on a storyboard. All of which will come next week.

And I shall have to leave it there. Many apologies for the shorter post.

Tomorrow shall be my rant day. I have yet to chose what I want to say but no doubt I will be as surprised as you.

Thanks and good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment